Thursday, May 18, 2006

Mother said, 'Come what may, follow the path and never stray'.

I get a call this morning from my husband. Mystery woman at his work is looking for prospective teachers at mystery private school. Would I like to interview?

The pay is X. X pay is Y more than the public school teaching salaries and X more than what I make right now.

Temptation. Money. Money to pay for my impending wisdom teeth extraction. Money to pay off debt. Money to buy plane tickets to visit home. It doesn't help that Will is whispering X amount of money in my ear as I speak to him on the phone. "No," I say. "We're committed. Gotta go." Click.

Temptation thwarted. But at what cost? So I try to remember why I'm homeschooling and why I would turn down the chance for X. Why am I doing this?

Because my son spent countless nights in tears too frustrated to do what amounted to busy work (work that I, too assigned to my kindergarten students). Because he got red "sad faces" on his behavior folder when he couldn't focus to get his work done. Because elementary schools don't teach world history. Because some schools prohibit recess, centers and naps for little ones because of test preparation. Because I experienced firsthand what happens when a curriculum company gets exclusivity in a school district, and the curriculum nazis are in and out of classrooms monitoring if teachers are following their script. Their script.

X would be nice. But I found a higher calling when I started homeschooling. And we're committed. But X would have been nice.

http://here-in-idaho.blogspot.com/

2 Comments:

Blogger The Silent K said...

IT's hard to stick to your ideals when someone is wagging a carrot in your face. Good for you for sticking to what you beleive in.

5/19/2006 04:17:00 AM  
Blogger HappyChyck said...

Good for you for sticking to what's important. Education these days seems to be such an anti education. So frustrating. Your children are so lucky!

5/21/2006 08:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This is Who I Am

Kristi From Texas
Site Feed Site Feed

Site Feed

This is Who I Read

Chicky Chicky Baby
Miss DQ
Eva Las Vegas
Minivan Mafia
Suburban Turmoil
Izzy Mom
FlipFlop Mama
All Rileyed Up
Frog and Toad are Friends
Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual
RolloverSucka.com
Sanity, Interrupted
Miss Snark
The Daily Hasselhoff
Midnight Therapy with Crystal

Image hosting by Photobucket
Join BloggerChicks
Top  Blogs

This is Paying Me Nothing