Thursday, May 11, 2006

My idea of a good time. And why I don't like Catcher in the Rye.

I got this from Mental Multivitamin. You're supposed to boldface the books you've read, italicize those you might read, cross out the ones you won’t, put an asterisk beside the ones on your bookshelves, and place brackets around the ones you’ve never even heard of.

The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown)
The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
* To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
The Time Traveler’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)
{His Dark Materials (Philip Pullman)}
* Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (J. K. Rowling)
The Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
Animal Farm: A Fairy Story (George Orwell)
Catch 22 (Joseph Heller)
The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (Mark Haddon)
Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
* 1984 (George Orwell)
* Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (J. K. Rowling)
{ One Hundred Years of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)}
Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
Slaughterhouse Five (Kurt Vonnegut)
{The Secret History (Donna Tartt)}
Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
* The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (C.S. Lewis)
{Middlesex (Jeffrey Eugenides)}
{Cloud Atlas (David Mitchell)}
Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
{Atonement (Ian McEwan)}
[The Shadow of the Wind (Carlos Ruiz Zafon)]
The Old Man and the Sea (Ernest Hemingway)
The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath)
Dune (Frank Herbert)
Sula (Toni Morrison)
Cold Mountain (Charles Frazier)
{The Alchemist (Paulo Coehlo)}
{White Teeth (Zadie Smith)}
The House of Mirth (Edith Wharton)

Ummm....I thought I was an avid reader until I looked at this list. And I don't own anything because I'm too cheap to actually buy a book...I just get everything from the library. But I am willing to try to read almost anything. But I won't finish everything. Like Catcher in the Rye...which in my opinion is the most overrated rubbish ever printed. I got halfway through and said, "If I wanted to read random adolescent incoherent thoughts I'd look up some college kids on Myspace." I didn't really say that...but that was my sentiment. I'm sure Catcher in the Rye is a completely amazing book and I just didn't get it. The entire global literary community can't be wrong, right?




http://here-in-idaho.blogspot.com/

3 Comments:

Blogger Mental multivitamin said...

Sure, they *could* be wrong. I posted on Catcher a few months ago; the entry was entitled "Defending Holden." It may interest you.

http://mentalmultivitamin.blogspot.com/2006/01/defending-holden.html

Hey, and thanks for the sidebar link!

MFS

5/11/2006 05:38:00 PM  
Blogger The Silent K said...

I loved Catcher in The Rye.

I thought it captured adolescence really well, and the frustrations and alienation of feeling different than everyone around you.

5/18/2006 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Caryn,

Borrow away! I stole this off of Mental multivitamin myself. I'm not good at originality. :)

5/18/2006 12:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This is Who I Am

Kristi From Texas
Site Feed Site Feed

Site Feed

This is Who I Read

Chicky Chicky Baby
Miss DQ
Eva Las Vegas
Minivan Mafia
Suburban Turmoil
Izzy Mom
FlipFlop Mama
All Rileyed Up
Frog and Toad are Friends
Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual
RolloverSucka.com
Sanity, Interrupted
Miss Snark
The Daily Hasselhoff
Midnight Therapy with Crystal

Image hosting by Photobucket
Join BloggerChicks
Top  Blogs

This is Paying Me Nothing