Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Raising daughters and why I don't have any Bratz


I have no contempt for any moms who don't have any problems with Bratz. And I let my girls play with the dolls at other people's homes. But I do think that there might be a link, somehow, between Girls Gone Wild, the rise of sexually transmitted diseases among teenagers, and the acceptability of letting our girls play with sexy dolls. Being a pro-life, libertarian Christian, I'm not a feminist by the contemporary understanding of the word. But I want my girls to grow up smart, confident and free-thinking enough to reject the idea of showing their boobs for a swig of beer and a free t-shirt. And I want my boy to reject any girl who thought showing her boobs to strangers was a good idea. So how do we do this when girls are playing with hookerfied dolls at the age of 5? I'm not sure...but with all the heated discussion generated by the Mommy Wars, I would love to see some more rhetoric about the kinds of kids we're raising, not just the means by which we're raising them. So here is a much more articulate article I came across that prompted me to write this whole anti-Bratz rant. And yes, my children can be brats with an 's' sometimes.

http://here-in-idaho.blogspot.com/

3 Comments:

Blogger IzzyMom said...

Don't even get me started on Bratz dolls and Pussycat dolls. Ughhh.

5/16/2006 05:48:00 PM  
Blogger Kellie said...

I am totally in agreement with you! I'm glad to know i'm not the only one who refuses to buy this trash! I put a link to your post in my blog about this subject, hope you don't mind!

5/18/2006 09:34:00 AM  
Blogger HappyChyck said...

Stepmom chiming in here. I don't spend a lot of time contemplating stuff that full time mommies do, but the first time I say those dolls I thought, "NO WAY!" I thought they were for preteen girls, but my 4-5 wanted one. So, is that who the target audience is? YUCK! Frankly, most contemporary toys irritate me. Cheap (but not inexpensive), pointless, commercialized...

5/21/2006 07:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This is Who I Am

Kristi From Texas
Site Feed Site Feed

Site Feed

This is Who I Read

Chicky Chicky Baby
Miss DQ
Eva Las Vegas
Minivan Mafia
Suburban Turmoil
Izzy Mom
FlipFlop Mama
All Rileyed Up
Frog and Toad are Friends
Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual
RolloverSucka.com
Sanity, Interrupted
Miss Snark
The Daily Hasselhoff
Midnight Therapy with Crystal

Image hosting by Photobucket
Join BloggerChicks
Top  Blogs

This is Paying Me Nothing