Monday, May 29, 2006

Summer days drifting away to uh-oh those summer nights.

Last "Grease" reference for a while, I swear. Really, I'm getting too old to be quoting "Grease" every other post.

Speaking of getting old, I turn 30 this summer. Not until July, but still...this is the year I turn 30. Thirty. 30. So here is a short list of what I want us (me) to accomplish this summer. So I can say, "This is what I did the year I turned 30. I was not sitting at my computer working on my blog the entire summer. I actually did some stuff."


1. Organize some sort of family volunteer project. I haven't worked this out yet, but I want the kids to have some sort of sense of obligation to help others with their time and efforts. Liberals aren't the only ones who want to help people :)

2. Go horse-back riding. Earlier attempts at being adventurous (I'll tell the disastrous skiing down a bunny-hill incident another time) have not worked out for me. But this can't be too bad...nothing's worse than my ski pants falling down to my ankles as I cling to my husband and his co-worker's helpful wife on Schweitzer Mountain. What's the worse that could happen?

3. Play some tennis. There's a tennis court 15 feet from my bedroom window. I've never played tennis. But I signed the kids up for some lessons this summer so maybe we'll figure it out together. Another way to get my lazy behind off the computer.

4. Plan and execute two successful birthday parties. Let me say that getting kids to a birthday party in a town where you don't actually know anyone is no small feat. It involves serious networking and schmoozing worthy of a Hollywood PR master. And without our family here to be the party guests, I've got a big task ahead of me. I'll be carrying my sad little address book everywhere I go, just in case I happen to meet moms with kids who'd like some free cake and party favors. And don't think I'm above actually calling strangers and inviting them to our parties. I'm not.

5. Knit something. Anything. Everything I attempt turns out raggedy looking. Like the stuff those guys wear in the Matrix. So I never finish anything. My thoughtful husband purchased some knitting lessons for my Mother's Day gift. So maybe I'll learn how to actually read a pattern and make some booties or something. It's been silly calling knitting a hobby when I end up unravelling everything I attempt.

Five goals are enough for now. We mustn't over-extend ourselves. I will be working on other goals as well... mastering some sort of chore/incentive system for my lazy kids, planning for the new school year, reading as many books as I can manage, go camping, becoming a better person, the usual drill. Maybe finding a Bible study with other like minded moms. Or getting more into Christian apologetics. Whatever I do, my biggest goal is to not get too attached to the internet and all these great blogs I read everyday. Because the more time I spend writing for my blog, and reading other people's blogs, the less time I actually spend in the real world. So it's time to go and actually do some stuff.

http://here-in-idaho.blogspot.com/

8 Comments:

Blogger The Silent K said...

OOoh!! !You are going to knit! How exciting. HAve you checked out knitty.com?

Lots of patterns for beginners!

5/29/2006 07:48:00 PM  
Blogger Will said...

I'll check it out tonight...thanks Krista.

5/29/2006 09:18:00 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Uh, I had a list for the year I turned 30 too... almost 7 years later and I am pretty sure nothing has been scored off!!

Don't worry, the thirties are better than the twenties... still cute but better focus!

5/29/2006 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger Erin M said...

i wnat to learn to knit too, i havent had the patience yet!

5/30/2006 01:48:00 PM  
Blogger Will said...

The best resource I've used is Kid's Knitting by Melanie Falick. It's written for kids so the pictures are really simple. I end up checking it out of the library every few weeks...I should just buy the thing.

5/30/2006 02:10:00 PM  
Blogger IzzyMom said...

Hey...you get bonus points just for HAVING goals!

My goal is to get a shower every day...lol

5/30/2006 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Ooh, that sounds like a nice list. Especially the bits about horseback riding and reading loads! My birthday's in July as well.. but I have no goals :)

6/01/2006 08:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I saw your review on IT2M and just thought I would stop and say hi. I am in Idaho too, not far from you.

8/28/2006 03:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This is Who I Am

Kristi From Texas
Site Feed Site Feed

Site Feed

This is Who I Read

Chicky Chicky Baby
Miss DQ
Eva Las Vegas
Minivan Mafia
Suburban Turmoil
Izzy Mom
FlipFlop Mama
All Rileyed Up
Frog and Toad are Friends
Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual
RolloverSucka.com
Sanity, Interrupted
Miss Snark
The Daily Hasselhoff
Midnight Therapy with Crystal

Image hosting by Photobucket
Join BloggerChicks
Top  Blogs

This is Paying Me Nothing