Monday, June 05, 2006

Wonderful, it's wonderful...to know that you're just like I.


My husband and I will be celebrating our 9 year anniversary this week. If I wasn't a cool girl who doesn't listen to country music I'd be quoting the Shania Twain song, "You're Still the One"....we beat the odds together. But I don't listen to country so I'm quoting the Smashing Pumpkins instead. Fittingly, because when we got married my husband was a 20 year old college kid obsessed with the Smashing Pumpkins. And I was a 20 year old college girl so in love that I was completely oblivious to any idea of what it takes to survive in the real world. But we got married...the first of our friends to take the walk down the aisle. The first to have babies. The first to settle down into bills and full time jobs and student loan repayments. We were married before we could legally drink...we had our first child while working for temp agencies. Will actually quit school to support our new family. It's amazing to look back at all that has changed in the last 9 years.

He grew up to be a guy who could nicely support a family of five, even without a college degree. I grew up to be a girl obsessed with the education of our children, supported enough to devote myself fulltime to it. He lost some hair, lost his faith and embraced unexpected political ideaologies. I kept my faith, kept an open mind and gained respect for someone asking the hardest questions about everything. We are not the same two people who married in 1997. We were kids then. But I like who we've become even more. We still make each other laugh. We still have long conversations about the stuff that's important to us. And most importantly, we still plan for the future...we look forward to the years to come.

And I can't help but feel attached to the feelings I can't even match
With my face pressed up to the glass, wanting you....






http://here-in-idaho.blogspot.com/

2 Comments:

Blogger Pendullum said...

Congratulations on the 9th Anniversary. I was just wandering the internet and saw your blog...
And I though man that's nice...
Happy Anniversary!
You know, I was at a dance this past weekend I left my husband behind because dancing is not his thing... I danced with a whole bunch of great women, had a great time...Hurt like heck the next day I did miss my husabd though as we would have complained albeit mildly about the music. It appears to me,once you become a parent, people seem to think you are in a timewarp of the past. Only playing music from your teens etc.
But we are continually evolving... And many are not...And where the Smashing Pumpkins are there, is also the love of the My Morning Jacket,Bright Eyes, Radiohead, Goldfrapp...
And yet once you mentioned my fellow Canadian... Shania... I can not think of another anniversary song to dedicate to you guys...

6/06/2006 02:14:00 PM  
Blogger The Silent K said...

Hey, you know- I totally relate to this post. My husband and I were 16 (me) and 18(him) when we started dating. We got pregnant when I was 19, and married when I was 23.

We too, were the "first of our friends to take the walk down the aisle. The first to have babies. The first to settle down into bills and full time jobs and student loan repayments."

We had our frist child while we were both still in school racking up an insane ampount of student debt that haunts us to this day- but we manage- very cautiously- to get by and support our family.

Like yours, my husband has lost some hair embraced unexpected political ideaologies. He found faith, I didn't. He asks the hardest questions about everything and it tortures me, but I respect him.

Like you, we've grown and changed so much in our time together. I think its inevitable when a couple starts out together so young.

Happy anniversary, and cheers to still being in love, and able to enjoy one another.

6/08/2006 07:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This is Who I Am

Kristi From Texas
Site Feed Site Feed

Site Feed

This is Who I Read

Chicky Chicky Baby
Miss DQ
Eva Las Vegas
Minivan Mafia
Suburban Turmoil
Izzy Mom
FlipFlop Mama
All Rileyed Up
Frog and Toad are Friends
Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual
RolloverSucka.com
Sanity, Interrupted
Miss Snark
The Daily Hasselhoff
Midnight Therapy with Crystal

Image hosting by Photobucket
Join BloggerChicks
Top  Blogs

This is Paying Me Nothing