Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I'm a reader! Part 1: I likes to read.

Believe it or not, I once took a 10 year hiatus from reading for fun. An occasional John (yes, we know, you're a lawyer) Grisham or Michael (how many pages is this technical junk?) Crichton was all I would attempt. Crichton always blinds me with science. But these books gave me great training for spotting formulaic writing, i.e. Dan (guy + girl + running + conspiracy = bestseller) Brown's fun but predictable books.

So what prompted me to jump back into the local library headfirst? A full-on, grown woman obsession with the Harrys. A "I pre-ordered this freaking book on Amazon so I could read it today so leave me alone!" obsession. Will hid Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince from me the day I got it. He snickered as I ransacked the house looking for it. I'm not sure but I think I was in a hysterical heap on our closet floor when he finally handed it over. Bastard.

So there's this 30 year gap in between the Harrys and I have to read something, right? So I started reading like a maniac. Now...as I've said before, I will stop reading anything I don't enjoy. I've quit some of the finest literature in world history because my attention span is this ( ) big. I also have issues with identifying with characters who are nothing like me. I think the word is 'empathy'. Apparently, I don't have it. But I've also stuck it out with books that you wouldn't expect a self-confessed prude like me to enjoy. I'm currently reading Lolita. I can't read it with out singing "La la la Lola" in my head. (I often have singing in my head problems...this is nothing new.)

Here is a fun little list of books that I love. Books I love soooo much that I would actually shell out less than $10 to buy them. I'm doing categories because I know that anyone who's reading this is thinking, "There's no way I'm reading this list unless the books are categorized." I'm psychic.


Nonfiction - Politics/History/Economics/Be-Rich-Like-Me Books
The World is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty First Century - Scarier than Steven King.
Freakanomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything - Just for fun.
Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies - A little dry but fun for history freaks.
Rich Dad, Poor Dad - I read this every year or so. I'm still not rich. I'm thinking of sueing.
The Millionaire Next Door - I have to buy Cover Girl brand make-up because of this book.
Total Money Makeover - Read this if you never read anything again. Except the Harrys.
The Ditch Digger's Daughters - I'm a sucka for success stories.
Uncle Sam's Plantation - A black, conservative woman's view of the state of things. Not for everyone, but I liked it.

Nonfiction - Education Books I Do Cartwheels For
Guerrilla Learning: How to Give Your Kids A Real Education... - The title is way too long. But the book is inspirational, for lack of a better word.
Books to Build On: A Grade-by-Grade Resource Guide for Parents and Teachers - Self Explanatory.
Dumbing Us Down - The Hidden Agenda of Compulsary Schooling - This fella's a little on the crazy side, but he was also an award winning NY city school teacher. So take it or leave it.
Marva Collins' Way - I looovvvee this lady. I want to be her. But I'm not.
The Well Trained Mind - This is the book that sealed the deal for me. In homeschooling, that is. I love this book like Whitney loves crack.

Holy guacamole! This is long. It's a good thing I'm breaking this into multiple posts. I'm off to read a little more about dirty Humbert.

Addendum: Humbert is freaking me out. Lolita goes back to the library with her nasty self.


http://here-in-idaho.blogspot.com/

2 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

I used to have the same problem with fiction. I hate romances and I get really freaked out by horror, so I had a hard time finding the right kind of novels. Tune in later for the ones that are just right for me. :)

8/09/2006 01:26:00 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I have quite a few of these books too. I will have to look into some of the other ones on your list.

8/09/2006 09:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This is Who I Am

Kristi From Texas
Site Feed Site Feed

Site Feed

This is Who I Read

Chicky Chicky Baby
Miss DQ
Eva Las Vegas
Minivan Mafia
Suburban Turmoil
Izzy Mom
FlipFlop Mama
All Rileyed Up
Frog and Toad are Friends
Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual
RolloverSucka.com
Sanity, Interrupted
Miss Snark
The Daily Hasselhoff
Midnight Therapy with Crystal

Image hosting by Photobucket
Join BloggerChicks
Top  Blogs

This is Paying Me Nothing