Saturday, August 05, 2006

No trashy gossip Here. At the moment.

True, I loves me some trashy celebrity gossip. Someday I'm going to stand before God and shamefacedly explain why I spent so many hours reading online junk instead of helping out African orphans.

"But God, we can't all be Angelinas." (As if I'd use celebrity name dropping at the judgement throne.)

"And we can't all be gossip mongers checking out People Online to see what Paris Hilton is wearing, can we?..." Oh snap. God got me there. God is very sarcastic.

So here is a short compilation of articles that have nothing to do with Mel Gibson or Lindsey Lohan. But keep reading anyway.

Scientific Evidence Backing Up the Obvious:
Britney Spears is actually retarded. Just kidding. I couldn't resist. This article discusses gender roles and the chemical differences that propel baby girls toward baby dolls and boys towards firetrucks. Studies indicate that baby monkeys make the same choices based on gender...so the whole 'girls have been culturally taught to be nurturers' arguement is out the window. It also talks about how alleged verbal and mathematical discrepancies between men and women aren't as great as we thought. Most moms have known this stuff since the dawn of humanity. It just took some scientists to convince everyone else. Female scientists.

Is This All You've Got?
Not a specific article per se, but a commentary. So I'm feeling liberated and I head over to Ms. online. And I'm struck with the monotony of women's "issues". This is why I can't consider myself a feminist. Because the feminists of America can't stop yelling "Reproductive Rights!" long enough to consider there might be a few other ways to actually help down and out females. Like if the most militant pro-choicers of the world used their energy to organize job training programs, entrepenuerial programs, financial education classes, mentorship programs etc. it's possible there wouldn't be as great a demand for abortions in the first place. Which is something the pro-lifers could get behind easily. And memo to Ms.: if you want to get my attention, don't polarize issues as being "left or right". It's hard to believe, but there are actually some women out there who don't buy the "all the right wing men of the world are oppressing me" thing.

NEA; No Excellence Allowed!

Now here is an instance of the pot (me) calling the kettle (the NEA) black (I was in a teacher's union). But this is out-of-control. Nevermind that the NEA's homepage offers nothing in the discussion of academic education. I can appreciate that the role of the NEA is to benefit public school teachers, not necessarily raise the standards of academic excellence in the public education system. I was a member of a teacher's union because they were there to protect me if I needed protection, kind of like the mafia. Fair enough. But the NEA has also made it their mission to squash any government funding towards private school vouchers. Still...fair game. This is their agenda...secure funding for public schools. Whatever. But here, HERE is where things get ugly. The National Education Association, largest union in the US, urges their members to boycott Walmart because Walmart contributes money towards private vouchers for underprivileged youth. This article discusses the Walton family's obsession with education reform and how they are using their resources to change American schools. I'm not a swearer usually but - Hell yeah! I'd double my shopping time at Walmart for that reason if I could.

I would've done some more but I think my extensive commentary is probably a little too scary for most readers.

http://here-in-idaho.blogspot.com/

3 Comments:

Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Amen! And pass the Us Weekly.

Personally, I think God is on Jen Anniston's side.

8/05/2006 07:30:00 PM  
Blogger Will said...

As if God would be on Brad's side. Duh.

8/05/2006 11:21:00 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I too am sadly addicted to celebrity gossip... I love me some snark!

8/05/2006 11:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This is Who I Am

Kristi From Texas
Site Feed Site Feed

Site Feed

This is Who I Read

Chicky Chicky Baby
Miss DQ
Eva Las Vegas
Minivan Mafia
Suburban Turmoil
Izzy Mom
FlipFlop Mama
All Rileyed Up
Frog and Toad are Friends
Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual
RolloverSucka.com
Sanity, Interrupted
Miss Snark
The Daily Hasselhoff
Midnight Therapy with Crystal

Image hosting by Photobucket
Join BloggerChicks
Top  Blogs

This is Paying Me Nothing