Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Put this in your pantry with your cupcakes:



Kristi's Not-Quite-As-Good-Girl Guide to Movies of the 1960's


Let's start at the top, shall we? The Graduate is all things holy in terms of moviegoodness. Not good like, I can't wait to tell my Sunday School teacher about the good movie I saw last night, but good like, I can't believe Mike Nichols made this and then made Wolf 23 years later. Can't be the same guy. The plot, for the uninitiated, is that a college graduate (duh) hooks up with one of his parent's friends. And the mama Robinson has a cutie pie daughter who happens to be the graduate's age. Hilarity ensues. Let me say that I'd give away some kids to be as hot as Ann Bancroft is in this movie. And I bet Will wouldn't stop me. I'm just sayin'...

This is the one to put in your Netflix cue right now. Do it. DO it.


Breakfast at Tiffany's
- As with Saturday Night Fever, I had a completely different expectation for this movie than what it actually was. For this reason I refused to watch it again for several years. And then I said, "What about Breakfast at Tiffany's" and you said, "Yes, I remember the film. And as I recall I think about 15 people are going to hate-mail Kristi for putting this song in their heads." And you say we have nothing in common.

Audrey is de-lovely, even if the movie is a little de-dark and de-pressing. But watch it anyway. If nothing else, you can get a brief glimpse of why everyone went crazy for Truman Capote for about 10 minutes.

Charade - Question: What do you get when you put Audrey and Mr. CaryGrant in a movie together? Answer: Valhalla. Literally. There were millions of Viking ghosts who didn't get into Valhalla until production on this movie was complete. It's complete heaven. Nothing dark, other than a few murders and some sexy sexy banter between young Audrey and Mr. CaryGrant. And not many men pushing 60 can pull off the sexytalk like he does. I'll do a whole dissertation on Mr. CaryGrant someday. Believe you me. I will.

The Apartment - Now we have a case of lousy expectations being turned upside down onto their hineys. I'm not a fan of Shirley MacLaine, what with her teeny tiny eyes and crazytalk about new aginess. Blah. And then Jack Lemmon, who's just too animated for his own good. No one knows who I'm talking about, right? So anyway, I rent this movie starring people I don't care for because The Apartment always shows up on best comedy of all time lists. Right up there with Some Like it Hot, which should have been retitled Some Like It -Not! Hee Hee.

But I watch it and the movie turns out to be quite good. Shirley is not only charming...she's actually pretty! in this movie. And Jack...bleh...still too wackjob to be believable. But you might disagree so rent it and find out.

Judgement at Nuremburg - If a. you are a history freak, or b. you love excellent acting, or c. you like the courtoom drama movies, or d. you are a college student realizing you have a test on the Nuremburg trials and you forgot to study, then this movie is for you. Spencer Tracy is in this movie. Spencer who? you ask. Spencer TRACY, the greatest common-guy actor of the 20th century! Why am I the only one who knows who Spencer Tracy is? Why am I yelling? Yes, I swear I'm not an 80 year old former movie starlet posing as a young hip blogger! I may be 30, but my soul is Spencer Tracy's age. That's about 106 by my estimates.


Dr. Strangelove or .... Too long a title. Must finish post.... Very very clever spoof of the nuclear age. And some of it's not that funny considering the state of things today. Peter Sellers...I haven't seen many things with him so I can't do a self righteous rant about how great he is. But he's great in Dr. Strangelove. Great times 3 because he has 3 different parts in the movie. Beat that Mike how-many-times-can-I-use-my-Scorttishhh-accent Myers.

Cool Hand Luke- Don't remember much about this movie. All I remember is Paul Newman. This one's for the ladies. That's all I can say before my husband locks me in the closet (insert nervous laughter here) I'm totally joking. Will's great.


2001 Space Odyssey. I didn't get this movie. At all. Not even an itty bitty bit. But you should watch it anyway so you can marvel at the special effects that were a kajillion years before their time. Then google the title to try to get some meaning out of the wasted hours you put into it.


Frolicking Family Fun:


The Sound of Music - Oh my blog. My girls are singing these songs to death right now. I honestly didn't think it would go over well with them...I was tragically mistaken. Still, it's a good movie.

Mary Poppins - Close your mouth please, Michael. We are not a codfish. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

Summer Magic - Hayley Mills in her last cute enough to be considered cute film. Precious Mom and I sing all the songs with my kids when we get together. Precious dad joins in. Sarcastic dad pretends he can't hear us.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World - This is a great, great, great, movie, movie, movie, for 7 year old boys who think madcap chases are funny. I bet I could stick him in front of an old Benny Hill Show and he'd die from a laughter-induced heart attack. Or a boob-induced heart attack. I better keep him away from Benny Hill...just to be on the safe side, side, side.


Ich bin finished. I need to go to bed.



http://here-in-idaho.blogspot.com/

4 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Great list ... You've got two of my all time faves here in "Dr. Strangelove" and "Cool Land Luke" .. if I may dispute one thing, politely of course .. Cool Hand may have the eye candy for the ladies, but in terms of sheer quotability, it's a manly movie through and through

8/31/2006 01:34:00 PM  
Blogger Will said...

All disputes are welcome and encouraged on my blog.

Unless you try to tell me Barbra Streisand really is as talented as everyone thinks she is. For this, you could get banned.

8/31/2006 02:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love old movies! Just came by to visit a fellow classical homeschooler, I'll be back.

Great post!
Jessica

9/03/2006 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Ha cha cha indeed.

9/04/2006 11:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This is Who I Am

Kristi From Texas
Site Feed Site Feed

Site Feed

This is Who I Read

Chicky Chicky Baby
Miss DQ
Eva Las Vegas
Minivan Mafia
Suburban Turmoil
Izzy Mom
FlipFlop Mama
All Rileyed Up
Frog and Toad are Friends
Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual
RolloverSucka.com
Sanity, Interrupted
Miss Snark
The Daily Hasselhoff
Midnight Therapy with Crystal

Image hosting by Photobucket
Join BloggerChicks
Top  Blogs

This is Paying Me Nothing