Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Emancipation of Meme



I never do memes. Who really cares what I ate for breakfast or what brand of feminine products I use (the cheapest)? But I've been tagged and since this meme is totally ROCK AND ROLL, I'm on it.

Coming from Riley at All Rileyed Up, the topic is My Ten Favorite TV Characters. Riley who, by the way, just wrote the awesomest sentences I've ever read in a blog, ever:

Yeah, you heard me. HIGH-LAN-DER. I love that show. I’d like to slap some bar-b-que sauce on it and eat that s*** up. Highlander also scores high in these other categories: Best Theme Song: Queen + air guitar = Crazy Delicious

There's no way I'm going to top that. I won't even try.


1. Laura Petrie - If I were a hot 1960s housewife with a bubble flip and skin tight capris, I'd be Laura Petrie. If I weren't a so-so 2000s housewife with unbrushed hair wearing whatever I picked up off the floor, I'd be Laura Petrie.

2. David Brent from the British version of the Office - I don't throw around the phrase 'complete and total jackass' very often. I'm quite discriminating when it comes to the 'complete and total jackass' label. David Brent qualifies:

I haven't got a sign on the door that says white people only. I don't care if you're black, brown or yellow - you know, Orientals make very good workers.

3. Ok...because I'm not going to come up with 10 great characters I have to also add Gareth from the British Office. Complete and utter jackass times two:

My dad, for example, he's not as cosmopolitan or as educated as me and it can be embarrasing, you know. He doesn't understand all the new trendy words - like he'll say "poofs" instead of "gays", "birds" instead of "women", "darkies" instead of "coloureds".

While I'm at it, I might as well include the entire casts of Reno 911 and Arrested Development on this one. And if you know what I mean when I say, "Chickens don't clap!" then you're cool like me.

4. Dot from MadTv - Oh mah heck I love this character. She puts the oreos on her eyes and says, "Someone took my eyeballs...mmmmmm....eyeballs are gooooood." Yeah...I'm easily amused.

5. Kevin Arnold from The Wonder Years. If I had had a boyfriend in jr. high/highschool, I would've hoped he was a little like Kevin Arnold. And if I had been as cute as Winnie Cooper, I might have had a shot with a guy like Kevin Arnold. Curses to big glasses and big bangs!

6. Dee from What's Happening? You find me a funnier character with better one-liners. Go on...I'm waiting. I'm here all night.

7. Sawyer or John Locke on Lost - Don't ask me how I keep up with the Lost episodes without tv. I'm not going to tell you. I don't need the Feds busting down my rented door. I try to not talk about tv characters as if they're real people. But that being said, Sawyer is the crazy bad guy you suspect has a heart o' gold, and John Locke is the crazy good guy verging on insanity. Just keep me away from Jack, OMHeck! He has got to stop trying to solve everyone's problems! Am I right? C'mon sista-girls, am I right???? Aaaaaand we're done.

8. Cousin Balki from Perfect Strangers - Standing tall. On the wings of my dreams. Don't be reediculous.

9. Alex P. Keaton - Alex fit in with his hippie family like I fit in with my family. They know what I'm talking about. I'm cool with Alex.

10. Becca from Life Goes On. Because I totally looked like her. And you always felt sorry for Becca. Yeah, Corky is the mentally handi-capable one, but Becca's the one keeping everything together. And she wasn't all anorexic like Carol Seaver.

11. Givin' a shout-out for my fave Kids Rule! shows: MMC (Diyman!), Kids Incorporated, and Rags to Riches. And does anyone else remember this show? I do. Because they had red hair. And one of them became a fashion designer...just like I wanted to be when I grow up! I am sooo like that girl. If only I had a twin.

I hereby tag Angel, Mrs. Chicky and Flipflop Mama. And I forgive you if you totally ignore your tag and secretly label me a loser.

http://here-in-idaho.blogspot.com/

7 Comments:

Blogger Joyce said...

locke is so badass. i can't believe i forgot about "lost" when i was thinking of my shows. oh, "supernatural" too! i should go back and add dean from "supernatural."

i woulda tagged ppl except that, well, i don't know anyone really except for jessica and she tagged me first!

i love your blog and the classic look, btw.

9/17/2006 01:25:00 AM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Cousin Balki? I looved Cousin Balki! I try to fit in the dance of joy at least once a day.

btw, damn you and your fun meme. I will now spend the rest of the day trying to think of the perfect 10 tv characters. ;)

9/17/2006 06:38:00 AM  
Blogger Beck said...

I'm all excited because I put Laura Patrie on my list for the same capri pant-hot housewife reasons! And what did I get for MY trouble? A crazy anonymous commentor ranting about how housewives had been oppressed victims!
Seriously, great answers! In that I agree with your choices and also, you are funny.

9/17/2006 04:39:00 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Oh, "The Wonder Years" was the best show... remember when Kevin and Winnie kissed?

9/17/2006 04:41:00 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Do I? Oh yeah. I do.

9/17/2006 04:56:00 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I like a lot of those characters, too. I havent watched "Lost"....(don't throw eggs at me...I know I'm one of the few in the country who doesn't watch that show!)

Thanks for the comment on my 125th post! I reached my goal! come back and see me again soon!

9/19/2006 02:06:00 PM  
Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

David Brent is simply detestable, and scarily realistic. An excellent choice.

9/20/2006 10:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This is Who I Am

Kristi From Texas
Site Feed Site Feed

Site Feed

This is Who I Read

Chicky Chicky Baby
Miss DQ
Eva Las Vegas
Minivan Mafia
Suburban Turmoil
Izzy Mom
FlipFlop Mama
All Rileyed Up
Frog and Toad are Friends
Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual
RolloverSucka.com
Sanity, Interrupted
Miss Snark
The Daily Hasselhoff
Midnight Therapy with Crystal

Image hosting by Photobucket
Join BloggerChicks
Top  Blogs

This is Paying Me Nothing