Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I read the news today, oh boy.

Inspired by Phat Mommy, this is my own Day in the Life.

6:15 Hear Ava crying over a wet bed. Get up, change her sheets, give her a washcloth for her legs and some clean clothes. Go back to bed.

7:30 Get up for real as Will is leaving for work. Make everyone get dressed and make their beds.

7:45 Make breakfast: fried eggs, toast, hot chocolate. Clean up the kitchen.

8:15 Shuffle kids into the bathroom to brush teeth and wash off the hot chocolate. Change Ava's chocolaty shirt. Start a load of laundry.

8:20 Remind everyone it's a school day and we need to meet at the table in 5 minutes.

8:30 Remind everyone again and give them another five minutes.

8:45 Finally started math. Juliet is ordering numbers 1-15 and Charlie is working with place value. Ava is looking for ways to make me lose my mind. I require that we spend a solid hour on math, even if I have to add some math drills to do a whole hour. Realize I forgot to do calendar time with the girls. Oh well.

9:45 Charlie starts his spelling work. He works independantly while I do phonics work with Juliet. Ava has been too whiny to participate. I decide I'll work with her later and set out some toys for her to play with.

9:54 Call out for Ava. No answer. Find her naked in my room, trying to make her Dr. Suess cd play in an unplugged cd player. Get her some clothes and send her out of the room.

10:15 Charlie starts memory work in his room. He is learning the Preamble to the Constitution. Juliet works on writing sentences. I realize I've lost Juliet's memory work tape and I have to make another one. Not now.

10:25 Ava is crying for me to play Connect Four with her. I tell her it's still school time and I need to be doing school. She starts a temper tantrum. I put her in her room. I type up Charlie's grammar test.

10:35 Juliet listens to the Latin cd.

10:40 Juliet makes herself a pumpkin mask. Charlie starts Latin. Ava comes out of the room and tries to make herself her own mask. All of the glues are dried up so I hunt down some glue from my scrapbooking junk. Passing a mirror, I realize I've had dried hot chocolate on the bridge of my nose all morning.

10:45 Return to the living room. Discover Charlie using a yard stick to do some sort of dual light saber fighting. Ava is climbing the school supply shelf in search of "really sharp scissors for her mask." I send Charlie to my room with his grammar test to finish. I give Ava some not-sharp scissors and set her back at her seat.

11:20 Charlie finishes his test. Morning work is over. I start another load of laundry and heat up the oven for lunch. Chicken nuggets for them and some sort of leftover chili-sandwich concoction for me. Charlie puts Peter Pan into the dvd player. I sit down at the computer for my 2 hour sabbatical from school.

11:25 Peter Pan is too scratched up to play. We stick in The Fantastic Four cartoon. Juliet starts a tantrum because the "elastic guy isn't funny." She goes to her room. Comes back to eat lunch.

12:20 Kids are sent to the room for "room time". This is one hour when they are supposed to play on their beds, read, or listen to a book on tape. I have about 5 minutes before Ava shows up in my room asking if it's time to get up yet. I'm starting All the King's Men. I fall asleep.

1:30 Ava emerges from the room with a bleeding lip. While dealing with them, I let Charlie know we're starting school again at 2:00. I then call our neighbor and invite her son over to play with Charlie after school.

1:45 The lip stopped bleeding. The girls listen to the Dr. Suess cd in the hall. I don't know why they're in the hall. I do not know at all.

2:00 Oops....I was supposed to pay the rent yesterday. I need to go do that right away before his friend gets here at 3. And I need a Dr. Pepper.

2:16 Haven't left yet. WHERE ARE ALL OUR SOCKS????? For the love of all that is holy, WHERE ARE OUR SOCKS?

2:48 Squeeze some history in as fast as we can. Our history book is talking about the Eastern Roman Empire today. No lie. Juliet is crying because the glitter glue is dried out and she can't decorate her castle drawing. Charlie is mad because he can't abbreviate 'Constantinople'. Turkish delight, on a moonlit night.

3:30 Neighbor-boy arrives. Juliet promptly shows him her new bathing suit. I send them outside while I play Connect Four with Ava.

4:00 I stick in a Kipper dvd for Ava and preheat the oven for dinner. Make a mental note that Charlie hasn't read to me today so we need to cover that tomorrow.


So the rest of my day will consist of more domestic bliss and more of me sitting at the computer avoiding domestic bliss. Reading this post reminds me of the whole Mommy War discussion that raged last spring. Some women are questioning why so many educated and otherwise competitive women are choosing to spend their days hoping to avoid pee puddles on the bathroom floor rather than contributing to the workforce.

I don't know. I don't have an answer. I will say that staying home is harder than working with adults. At least for me. But it's my work and my family that I'm working for. Not someone else's. But this life is not, I repeat not for everyone. And I have my days when it's not for me, either. But today wasn't one of those days. Today was a'ight.

I've got to go scrub some potaters now. And come back to my page this evening. I'll have surprise for you.

http://here-in-idaho.blogspot.com/

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I could never homeschool! My kids would be dumb!! LOL.

10/06/2006 07:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD.

I need a nap just from reading this post. I can now say that I am offically no longer considering homeschooling. I only have one kid! I have no idea how you do it with three.

10/07/2006 07:14:00 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Oh...ok, as a homeschooling evangelist I never intended to cause you to not want to homeschool. The new, edited version goes like this:

Today we ate cheetoes and colored pictures. We counted the cheetoes and wrote about how much we like cheetoes. Then we watched some movies.

See...homeschooling is fuuuunn. :)

10/07/2006 07:44:00 AM  
Blogger Angel said...

Dr. Pepper is my savior boyfriend too. He is so cool... and refreshing.

Um, I forgot the preamble to the Constitution, but I did remember that it is called a preamble. A for effort maybe?

10/07/2006 09:53:00 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Appleton said...

ARe you sure you weren't at my house! :)

10/16/2006 03:32:00 PM  
Blogger Holly Schwendiman said...

ROFL - This is why I don't document my days....lol. But you are exactly right - it's for your family and that is the most important thing you can and should be doing. Bravo kiddo - now go have a bubble bath!

Hugs,
Holly
Holly's Corner

Here via the Carnvial of Family Fun ;o)

10/16/2006 09:14:00 PM  
Blogger CN said...

I come from a homeschool family. So does my husband. That sounds soooo familiar, and I'm sure we'll have our own someday.

10/17/2006 07:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This is Who I Am

Kristi From Texas
Site Feed Site Feed

Site Feed

This is Who I Read

Chicky Chicky Baby
Miss DQ
Eva Las Vegas
Minivan Mafia
Suburban Turmoil
Izzy Mom
FlipFlop Mama
All Rileyed Up
Frog and Toad are Friends
Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual
RolloverSucka.com
Sanity, Interrupted
Miss Snark
The Daily Hasselhoff
Midnight Therapy with Crystal

Image hosting by Photobucket
Join BloggerChicks
Top  Blogs

This is Paying Me Nothing