Sunday, October 08, 2006

There's too many to choose from. TOO MANY, I TELL YOU!!

So we began with the Good Girl's Guide to Seventies Cinema. To which, by the way, I officially add Paper Moon. And then we covered the Not-Quite-As-Good Girl's Guide to Movies of the 1960s. Followed by Boring Title for a Boring Decade, except for the ones featuring Marlon Brando: Movies of the 1950s.


Before beginning my loving tribute to my favorite decade in movie making, at least my other favorite decade, I should inform the unintiated reader that I am a lover of old films. L-O-V-E-R with a capital FREAK when it comes to movies of the 1930s and 1940s. So writing this post and narrowing down my favorites may be, no will be, the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Ever. It's go-time.

It's a Wonderful Life - I already wrote an extensive tribute to this film over here, so I'm not going to gush any more than I already did. Except to say this is the finest movie of the decade. And for sentimental suckers like me, possibly of all time.

The Philadelphia Story
- "My feet are made of clay, made of clay. Did you know?"



My other favorite movie of all time. Mr. CaryGrant, Mr. Jimmy Stewart, Lovely Miss Katharine Hepburn...they just need to slap some Judy Garland and Gene Kelly up in there and I'd straight-up do the robot in pure joy.


Mr. CaryGrant Stars in... I tried to pick another favorite but I couldn't. And you can't make me. He has three stand-outs of the 1940s. His Girl Friday, My Favorite Wife, and Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House . Look up the word "charming" in the dictionary. This is what you'll see. Look up "double-take", and while you're there, look up "best comedic timing ever. EVER." Mr. Cary Grant. The only man that can make George Clooney look like a buffoon.

Dumbo- The part...with the...mama elephant...and the bars...and the chain...I can't even write about it without falling apart. Excuse me.

Meet Me in St. Louis - Liza Minnelli was concieved because of this movie. You so needed to know that. This is the story of a Victorian family living in St. Louis in 1904. Sort of a "year in the life" of this family. And that's it...not much drama, not much suspense. MMISL is just a pretty little picture of a pretty little time that probably never existed as prettily as it did in the movie. Sort of like Norman Rockwell paintings. You'd like to think things used to be so lovely, but deep down you know better. Judy Garland is in this one. And she's adorable.

The Maltese Falcon - "When you're slapped, you'll take it and you'll like it." Don't fool with Sam Spade. He'll mess you up.


Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Make your kids watch this. Make your neighbor watch this. Make your congressman watch this...but keep an eye on your congressman. Don't let him get fresh with your kids.


Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn star in - Adam's Rib and Woman of the Year. Once more, I couldn't choose. But keep your eye on Hepburn in both of them. She didn't need Gloria Steinem to teach her how to assert herself. What a woman.

Citizen Kane - Rooooossseebuuud....Citizen Kane isn't all about doom and gloom, you know. Witness debauchery filmed below:



Exactly what I imagine the Blogher conference looked like. Only less male.


Mildred Pierce - Back when shoulder pads and highly arched eyebrows = glamour, Joan Crawford pulled off this masterpiece. That's right, I said Joan "no wire hangers!" Crawford. Watch this movie and then keep an eye on your daughters....your backstabbing, conniving, manipulative daughters... Not now, Ava...I'm writing my blog!

And finally,

Casablanca - I think that there is a law somewhere requiring everyone alive to see Casablanca. I'm not sure if it's federal law...or just part of Bush's sweeping Patriotic Act initiatives...but I know it's on the books. So get this in your Netflix queue before the Minute-Men come and lock up your sorry self. And the scene below, this very scene, is one of my favorite moments ever recorded on film. Viva La France!




There you have it. My favorite movies from my favorite decade. And I could've kept going. So when I see this nonsense those Hollywood schmucks try to jam down our throats these days, I know better. Those fools have got nothing on these guys.

http://here-in-idaho.blogspot.com/

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man. I was waiting for your list for the 40's fully expecting to find my kindred spirit but alas, you neglected to put one of my fav movies from that period in your list.

Arsenic and Old Lace is the BEST movie. Cary Grant is hysterical in it and Josephine Hull and Jean Adair? Fughedaboutit!

But I'm with ya on the rest of your list, except for Citizen Kane. I never got the big deal about that.

10/09/2006 07:03:00 AM  
Blogger Beck said...

Hey, that's MY favorite decade of movie making, too! The Philadelphia Story is my favorite movie of all time, although people always think I mean the maudlin-and-more-recent "Philadelphia" when I mention it. No. And oh yes for the rest of them.
My children have been taught to chant "We love you, mommy dearest", which my mother-in-law finds quite upsetting.

10/09/2006 07:13:00 AM  
Blogger Will said...

I do love Arsenic and Old Lace. It's my favorite Halloween movie. I just thought I was going a little overkill with the CaryGrants. But yes...I loves me some Arsenic and Old Lace.

10/09/2006 08:20:00 AM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

You and I would have a lovely weekend together watching old movies. Some of those are my all time favorites. And my husband and I often say to each other "Oh, she's yar."

10/09/2006 09:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, you are forgiven. :)

10/10/2006 08:38:00 AM  
Blogger Angel said...

I have actually seen a few of these. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Adam's Rib. Of course IAWL is a great Christmas movie but all around WONDERFUL movie. I have seen the Dream House one with Cary Grant and I adore Cary Grant. My favorite CG film is Father Goose. Awesome flick. I need to start watching old movies again... really. Thanks for the list!

10/10/2006 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Will said...

OMHeck...I've never seen Father Goose. Cary must be looking down on me in disappointment.

10/10/2006 10:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's too many to choose from. TOO MANY, I TELL YOU!! ___________________
Julie
Lock in your price today for Your favorite

channels - and keep it there until 2010!

7/21/2009 02:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This is Who I Am

Kristi From Texas
Site Feed Site Feed

Site Feed

This is Who I Read

Chicky Chicky Baby
Miss DQ
Eva Las Vegas
Minivan Mafia
Suburban Turmoil
Izzy Mom
FlipFlop Mama
All Rileyed Up
Frog and Toad are Friends
Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual
RolloverSucka.com
Sanity, Interrupted
Miss Snark
The Daily Hasselhoff
Midnight Therapy with Crystal

Image hosting by Photobucket
Join BloggerChicks
Top  Blogs

This is Paying Me Nothing